Minutes September 13th 2010
ANY INDIVIDUAL WITH A DISABILITY MAY REQUEST SPECIAL ASSISTANCE BY
CONTACTING THE RECORDING SECRETARY AT (559) 661-6333.
FOR THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE MADERA COUNTY
PALEONTOLOGY DIG OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
Monday, September 13, 2010 – 5:30 P.M.
Fossil Discovery Center ofMadera County
19450 Avenue 21 1/2 (At Rd 19 1/2 )
Chowchilla, CA 93610 (Exit 164)
@ 5:46 PM
Establishment of quorum (min. 4 members) – Present: Chairperson– Terry Dolph, Robert Dundas,, David Jones, Terry Kershaw, Keith Quinlan.
B Approval of Prior Minutes for March 2010 (no corrections)
Moved: D. Jones Second: T. Kershaw Approved by majority
C Public Comments – none
D Additions/Corrections/Adoption to the Agenda (no corrections or additions)
Moved: R. Dundas Second: D. Jones Approved by majority
E Introduction of Guests
• Niranjala Kottachchi: paleontologist, site monitor, C.S.U. Fresno
• Larry Martin: San Joaquin Valley Paleontology Foundation
F Discussion and Consideration of Action
1. San Joaquin Valley Paleontology Foundation - Fossil Discovery Center Update -T. Dolph (no committee action taken)
• Fossil Discovery Center Grand opening on October 13, 2010, @10AM
• San Joaquin Valley Paleontology Foundation will coordinate the guest list
• Update on FDC exhibits progress
• Discussion of FDC staffing, personnel, and fees
2. C.S.U. Fresno – Paleo. Monitoring and Salvage Report - R. Dundas (no committee action taken)
• Repository fossils were curated and organized
• Storage cases were built for specimens
• Budget was presented for the third fiscal year, including an increase in paid staff working at the repository
3 Mitigation and Monitoring Contract Staffing Discussion - Committee (no committee action taken)
• N. Kottachchi will work at the FDC as paleontologist. Jeff Anglin will serve as paleontologist on days when N. Kottachchi is not present. The FDC will have a paleontologist present all 6 days of operation at a cost of approx $7,000/mo. (R. Dundas)
Item F (3) (Continued)
• Discussion of landfill operation needs for the next 10 years. After 2012 monitors may be "on call".
• Work done may be essentially the same; N. Kottachchi will be housed at the FDC.
• The existing contract is good for two years. Funding for CSUF services expires June 30, 2012. (K. Quinlan)
• Excavation of unit 3 may begin in one year. (K. Quinlan)
• Discussion on possible bidding of the next contract (move to "on call" monitors)
• D. Jones commented on good relationship with CSUF.
• Wording in the contract relative to educational outreach presents potential problems. (R.Dundas)
• Processing of existing jacketed specimens could continue for another two years. (R.Dundas)
• General agreement was expressed that contracted services with CSUF were highly satisfactory.
4. Transfer of Fossils and SJVPF Property to the Discovery Center Plan (no committee action taken)
• Discussion on leaving some fossils in the existing cases in the MDSI observation room
• Discussion on moving a cargo container and fossils at the MDSI to the FDC
• Discussion on SJVPF trailer and enclosed fossils at the MDSI
• R. Dundas stated that the screen washing system should be moved to the FDC. The system could be used as an educational activity.
5. Report to the Madera County Board of Supervisors From the DOC (no committee action taken)
• A report on DOC activities will be made to MCBS. (T. Dolph)
6. Report from the Repository/Fossil Storage Sub-Committee (no committee action taken)
G. Other Items for Discussion
H. Members Reports
I. Schedule Next Meeting
December 6, 2010 at 5:30 PM at the Fossil Discovery Center.
J. Adjournment @ 6:58 PM
Moved: K. Quinlan Second: R. Dundas Approved by majority
San Joaquin Valley Paleontology Foundation
P.O. Box 1020, Madera, California
Phone (559) 665-7107
FAX (559) 665-0641
FDC of Madera Co.
19450 Ave. 21 1/2
9–4 pm Wed. - Sat.
11–4 pm Sunday